Mercer Health is the only healthcare system in Mercer County, Ohio. Mercer County Community Hospital, located in Coldwater, anchors a network of affiliated providers, primary care practices and specialty medical services throughout Mercer and Auglaize counties.
True to the values of our original stakeholders, at Mercer Health, our focus is not on awards or recognition, but rather providing quality and accessible care in a caring environment. Simply, our greatest honor is providing for our community.
To positively steer our community’s health.
To be the provider of choice for our patients.
To be the employer of choice for our employees.
To be the system of choice for our medical staff.
Workmanship – to expect excellence every step of the way.
Ownership – to hold ourselves accountable each day.
Partnership – to always work stronger, together.
Leadership – to influence today and grow tomorrow.
Stewardship – to ethically manage the resources we have.
Mentorship – to guide our community long into the future.
Mercer County Community Hospital in Coldwater anchors the Mercer Health organization which also includes a provider network, Mercer Health Medical Group, and medical campuses and offices conveniently located in Celina, Coldwater, Ft. Recovery, Maria Stein, Mendon (Coming 2023), New Bremen, and St. Henry.Find Physicians/Providers Find Locations
Lisa Klenke, Chief Executive Officer
Jon Dingledine, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operating Officer
Susan Miller, Vice President of Patient Care Services, Chief Nursing Officer
Cory Albers, Vice President of Finance
Mindy Kremer, Vice President of Development, Marketing and Community Relations
Martin Shehan, Senior Director of Physician Practice Management
Dr. T. Amaran, Vice President of Medical Affairs
Dr. Megan Core, Chief of Staff
Ownership of Mercer Health is vested in the Board of Trustees, comprised of the Mercer County Township Trustees of Butler, Center, Dublin, Franklin, Gibson, Granville, Hopewell, Jefferson, Marion, Recovery, Union and Washington townships. The Board of Trustees appoints one elector from each township and appoints three electors at-large from the district, one of whom shall be a doctor of medicine, to constitute the Board of Governors who controls the operation of Mercer Health.
|At-Large||Venkatarao Neelati, M.D.||2024|
Mercer Health is accredited by The Joint Commission, the Ohio Department of Health, Medicare and Medicaid. As a Joint Commission accredited hospital, a survey is completed every three years with the laboratory being surveyed at least every two years. The Joint Commission accredits and certifies more than 19,000 health care organizations and programs in the United states and is recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain performance standards.
1942 – A group of concerned citizens met to discuss establishing a hospital in Coldwater
1945 – In an empty storeroom, where Hibner’s Jewelry is presently located, Joseph Oppenheim, part-owner of New Idea, Inc. called a meeting to further discuss access to medical services for Coldwater and surrounding areas. That meeting resulted in the establishment of a new corporation entitled the Coldwater Mercy Hospital Association.
November 9, 1949 – Groundbreaking services were held with Rev. Louis H. Yauss, Pastor of Holy Trinity Church, Coldwater officiating.
1950 – On April 20, 1950, the cornerstone for Our Lady of Mercy hospital was laid. The dedication of the 48-bed hospital was held on December 3, 1950. On December 6, 1950, Our Lady of Mercy hospital opened its doors.
1969 – The Sisters of Mercy approached the hospital board advising they could no longer continue to operate the hospital. Discussions began on how to keep the hospital operating.
1970 – April 1972 – After much deliberation and planning, seven townships in Mercer County stepped forward to operate the hospital as a joint township hospital district. The townships involved in the new hospital plans were Butler, Marion, Granville, Franklin, Washington, Gibson and Recovery.
April 1, 1972 – The seven townships took possession and assumed operations of the newly named Mercer County Joint Township Community Hospital. Discussions on renovating and expanding the hospital began immediately.
September 18, 1977 – A dedication and open house was held for the completed hospital renovations.
February 1978 – The hospital opened an Emergency Room staffed 24 hours a day.
April 1981 – Community Medical Center, in Celina, was opened to house specialty physician offices.
November 1984 – A $5 million expansion project was completed.
October 1987 – Mercer County Home Health Agency, now Mercer Health Home Care, opened as part of the organization.
December 1988- The Medical, Education and Development Foundation (MED Foundation) was created to support the activities of Mercer Health and to cultivate philanthropic relationships that enhance Mercer Health’s ability to fulfill its mission and vision.
Late 1990s/Early 2000s – Five of the seven remaining townships in Mercer County joined the original seven in operating the hospital as a joint township hospital district.
2004 – Mercer County Joint Township Community Hospital became known as Mercer Health to better reflect its commitment to serve the health needs of residents in Mercer County and the surrounding area beyond traditional hospital services.
December 2009 – Construction was completed on a new Emergency Department and Outpatient Areas.
2010 – Mercer Health purchased the old Briarwood Manor building and surrounding land to allow for future expansion.
2014 – The former Annex Building which originally housed the nuns operating Our Lady of Mercy Hospital, now known as Mercer Health was razed and memorialized with a newly erected monument.
2015 – Mercer Health Home Care and Mercer Health Medical Equipment and Mercer Health Rehabilitation Services, provided by the Community Sports and Therapy, moved to the Galleria.
2016 – Mercer Health publicly announced a large expansion project to the west side of Mercer County Community Hospital. The three-story addition would add 60,000+ square feet to the current 120,000 square feet focusing on enhanced outpatient services, inpatient services and surgical services.
2018 – The Sanderell Family West Wing opened on October 26, 2018.
2022 – Mercer Health broke ground on the future site of the Mercer Health Marion Campus.