The Medical, Educational and Development (MED) Foundation of Mercer Health recently awarded a total of $16,000 to local high school students furthering their education in the medical field after graduation. Scholarships were awarded to students from each of the six high schools in Mercer County at a ceremony held on April 25 at Mercer County Community Hospital.
Students were selected as recipients based on their academic performance, extracurricular activities, volunteerism and plans for higher education.
“The Scholarship Program was started 27 years ago as a way for the MED Foundation of Mercer Health to support local students interested in pursuing careers in healthcare,” Deb Hemmelgarn, MED Foundation Director, said. “We hope that these students will eventually bring their talent back to our community and serve as leaders in healthcare.”
MED Foundation scholarship recipients for 2019 include:
- Maya Lockwood, Chemistry/Pre-med, Ashland University
- Alex May, Nursing, Mount Saint Joseph University
- Conner Muhlenkamp, Occupational therapy, University of Findlay
- Reece Thomas, Integrated science/Pre-med, Wright State Lake Campus
- Taylor Siefring, Nursing, Ball State University
- Kayla Lennartz, Biology/Pre-med, Case Western Reserve University
- Rachel Partington, Biomedical engineering/Pre-med, University of Cincinnati
- Ava Rose, Nursing, University of Toledo
- Carrie Fesenmyer, Nursing, Miami University
- Jared Anderson, Biomedical engineering/Pre-med, Syracuse University
- Taylor Rammel, Occupational therapy, Rhodes State College
- Seth Brookhart, Psychology/Pre-med, Miami University
- Ryan Post, Biomedical engineering, University of Toledo
- Devin Siefring, Nursing, Wright State Lake Campus
- Julia Beyke, Exercise science/Pre-med – physician assistant, University of Dayton
- Alexis Heath, Pre-health biology/Pre-med/Psychology minor, Bowling Green State University
- Olivia Winner, Nursing, The Ohio State University
The MED Foundation Scholarship Program is funded by the annual Esmonde/Homan Golf Outing and Golf Ball Drop. Due to the success of the golf outing in recent years, the MED Foundation has been able to provide additional scholarships to even more local students. Since 1992, 263 scholarships have been awarded totaling $279,950. This year’s event is scheduled for Friday, June 14 at the Mercer County Elks.
For more information about the MED Foundation of Mercer Health, contact Deb Hemmelgarn at 419-678-5679.
Pictured from left to right. Back row: Jared Anderson, Carrie Fesenmyer, Seth Brookhart, Ryan Post, Devin Siefring, Julia Beyke and Alexis Heath. Front row: Ava Rose, Kayla Lennartz, Reece Thomas, Taylor Siefring, Conner Muhlenkamp, Alex May and Maya Lockwood. Not pictured: Rachel Partington, Taylor Rammel and Olivia Winner.