Position: Laboratory Tech 1/ Section Supervisor
Status: Full-Time; 8 shifts per biweekly pay period
Full time first shift supervisory technologist. The first shift hours are 0600 – 1430. This will be 8 day shifts, 64 hrs. per pay period with weekend and holiday rotation. In addition to the regular departments, this position will be trained in Microbiology, as time permits, for routine assignment. This position reports to the Laboratory Manager.
Skill and Ability:
• Individual is self motivated with strong organizational skills, a positive attitude and functions as a team player.
• Section supervisor duties will be for Hematology and Blood Bank Sections.
• Responsible for the all AABB inspections and regulations for the blood bank and transfusion services.
• Responsible for all Joint Commission inspections and regulation for these sections.
• Demonstrates effective communication skills in dealing with physicians, co-workers, and patients.
• Responsible for providing professional clinical laboratory services for patients of all ages by performing accurate and timely diagnostic testing and reporting of results.
• Maintains laboratory equipment and sufficient knowledge base to assure the best possible diagnostic testing for the patients, the ordering physicians, or the health care providers.
• Positive service oriented interpersonal, written, and verbal skills.
• Willingness to learn other departmental related functions.
• Phlebotomy skills in all age patients including infants and children.
• Must demonstrate ability to work both independently and as a team player, to exercise good judgment, and to successfully manage a variety/multi tasks.
• Requires basic computer/keyboarding skills. Ability to use Microsoft office preferred.
• Demonstrates supervisory expectations.
• Maintains inventory of supplies and reagents at a level that does not affect patient testing or increase expenses.
• Evaluates and recommends new procedures, new equipment or new methods to keep the department current and competitive.
• Verifies training and orientation of new personnel or new methods.
• Reviews and revises all policies and procedures as needed according to standard protocols.
• Reviews all department statistics and or results for quality control, proficiency testing, quality assurance monitors.
• Performs other departmental duties as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree of science and be certified as an MT or CLS by ASCP.
• 2 years’ experience in high complexity laboratory testing
• Recent Hematology and Blood bank experience and/or training are preferred.