Position: Laboratory Assistant
Shift: 2nd shifts (14:15-22:45) and mid shifts (9:00-17:30) through the week
Status: Full Time; 8 shifts per biweekly pay period
Weekends: Yes/ Rotation; Mid shift (9:00-17:30)
Holidays: Yes/ Rotation; Mid shift (9:00-17:30)
We currently have an opportunity for a Laboratory Assistant in our Laboratory. This position reports to the Laboratory Manager.
- High school graduate
- Previous Laboratory experience preferred
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The Lab Tech Assistant prepares specimens for analysis by accessioning orders via Hospital Information System and Laboratory Information Systems, verifying specimen acceptability. Performs established pre-analytical and analytical laboratory procedures, not requiring Medical Technologist interpretation, in accordance with established laboratory policy in an accurate, safe, and timely manner.
- Performs waived and limited moderately complex testing as defined by CLIA.
- Performs and reports testing and quality control procedures according to established protocols; evaluates specimen acceptability and implements corrective action within scope of training.
- Provides support functions to technologists including the loading and maintaining of analyzers, making up of reagents, and maintenance and function checks.
- Recognizes instrument and equipment malfunctions and keeps appropriate person(s) informed of problems, issues, and resolutions as needed.
- Operates, maintains, and repairs clinical laboratory equipment within the scope of training including routine preventative maintenance, calibrations, and safety checks.
- Competently accessions, triages and processes specimens in preparation for testing and transit. Follows established guidelines for centrifugation and aliquoting of samples.
- Uses computer programs to track specimen transport and minimizes lost specimens.
- Provides laboratory customer service to include request for add-ons, specimen collection information, phlebotomy requests, result inquiry, etc.
- Maintains inventory levels and stocks supplies
- Culture setup of microbiology samples
- Phlebotomist duties as needed.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills in role.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Positive service oriented interpersonal, written, and verbal skills are required.
- Willingness to learn other departmental related functions.
- Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds.